Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Writer's Tip

We have lovely friends who have an organic farm, and every week I love seeing the changes as everything gets plowed and planted and starts to grow. Farming is a hard, labor-intensive job and, like, writing, it's best not to calculate how much you're making an hour, but it yields visible, edible results. In revising a novel (and revising it again), progress means you scroll farther down your document. In order to set goals and to give me a sense of achievement, at the end of each major writing session I calculate what percentage of the way I am through my revision. The length of the novel fluctuates as I write new material and delete sections, which is why I don't use page numbers. And of course, the closer I get to the end, the more I feel myself pushing onward, cheering. Which is why all I have to say right now is

89.4%, baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment