Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Emily Recommends: A Ritual to Read Together



















Continuing the trend of having my poetry published in the same anthologies as my favorite poet, Naomi Shihab Nye (6 so far? I swear I don't do it on purpose!), I just got my copy of Becca J. R. Lachman's lovely collection A Ritual to Read Together: Poems in Conversation with William Stafford.

It makes me want to read and write more poetry.

That is one of the top compliments you can give to a poetry book, particularly one centered on a premier American poet whose teaching and emphasis on nonviolence inspired so many others. This collection is cleverly assembled of poems in conversation with Stafford's: some are tributes, some play off one or more lines and some (like mine) are linked only in their mutual interests. The result is a ready-made class, oh professor friends. (There's even a study guide with poets' commentary at the end of each chapter.) What fun that would be to teach...

No comments:

Post a Comment